I still have the big picture of us all on my computer background. Every time I open my computer, which is way more than it should, I get to see you guys! Hurray! As I look at the picture I see it as a family picture. You know the one with all your cousins and what not and how it never is “perfect”. That’s the beauty of this picture. We are all not looking at the same place or have the same smile or expression. We are family. And we learned what a family is. We became brothers and sisters and as I reflect on this picture, it is beautiful.
So I’ve been thinking of posting on the blog for a while. I have been very reluctant to do so, which is the story of my life right now. I am reluctant to go see people or go out because I don’t want to see someone I know. I have really put myself in a box which isn’t very fun or smart. So yeah as I have been reluctant to see people I have also been reluctant to post on this blog. This post is not to tell you whats going on my life, rather it’s to give encouragement and to know that we are beloved sons and daughters of our Father.
For the past couple of Sundays my pastor has been doing a sermon series on what it means to be a New Creation. It has been such a renewal to listen to these sermons. As I have been listening to them I have been thinking of Kaleo. And it hit me that this whole new creation idea has been the theme of what Kaleo is. I know some may be annoyed of this, but we learned what grace is this year. We learned what it means to have grace from God. We all came with our own baggage and this year we got to witness new creation, a transformation in our lives. For some this year became the start of their walk with God, for others it has been a renewal, for others it has been about putting the pieces of a puzzle together. We have become new creations in Christ this year. I know it has been hard for some people to go back home. Know that you are a new creation and that is what happened at our short time with one another. We learned what it means to live in community, what it means to have healthy relationships, what it means to be a dearly beloved child of God, what it means to have a soft heart, and what it means to surrender.
The passage that my pastor preached on this morning was Ephesians 5:1-21. He said for some that this passage is just a list of do’s and do not’s. God really sets the bar high in this passage. We are told by Paul to not even have a hint of sexual immorality or even a hint of Greed. We cannot put our needs ahead of God’s. It is sometimes hard to figure out what God intends for us. We can never beg perfect. We are, what Cal says, Spiritual bankrupt failures. Sometimes when I ask God for things it is for my own intentions. It is not any easy thing to measure up to what God wants. It is impossible to do so. Yet we learned that God has Grace. He has Grace for broken sinners as us. It is through God and only God that we have eternal life. He chose us, we did not choose him. No where in the Bible does it say its going to be easy. We are not called to live comfortable lives. We have a God who can do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or do.
Paul begins this chapter by reminded us that we are beloved children of God. We are called to live a life of Love as Christ had love for us. Paul then goes on by telling us not to have a hint of greed, etc. It is about imitating the ONE who loves us. God sees us as holy, beautiful people because of what Christ has done. We are called to live up to what God sees us as. This year we gave each other a new name. We talked and prayed about what we see in one another. God sees us as his creation, as his children, we are God’s love. It is amazing. In Ephesians 3:17-19, Paul prays for Christians so that they may have the power to know how deep, how wide, and how long the love of Christ is because it surpasses all knowledge. God has created us for so much more. He has an intense love for us.
Back to Ephesians 5, Paul goes on to say that we were once darkness. Verse 8 Paul says we were once darkness and we are now LIGHT. This Light exposes darkness. Jesus was a light to the dark world and he exposed darkness. The battle is already one. We are called to be imitators of Christ. We live in the light with Jesus. So often we get caught up in so much crap. The world is trying so hard to extinguish the light that is in our hearts. Left right and centre we are being pulled into what the world wants. So often we do quite the opposite than exposing darkness, rather we often mirror what culture wants. We are not shining, we are reflecting. We have to LIVE up to what God already sees in us. God created us. He has a plan for us. We are not called to be comfortable in this world. We need to shine God’s light, His love, not reflect what the world wants for us.
Verse 14 says “ Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead and Christ will shine on you. We are called to wake up. We have put the old self to death. We have to remember that we are new creations and we are called to wake up and reflect the love of Christ not to reflect and mirror what the world wants us to do. WE are to be in the world not of it. As we move on to new things don’t go back into old ways. Do not put yourself in the box. I know it is hard. I struggle too. Paul reminds us that we are not alone. When no one wants to hear about kaleo don’t be discouraged for God loves what you have done this past year. He delights in us when we glorify his name. He has so much joy when we begin to know that we are new creations and that we have new life with Christ. Paul encourages not only the Christians of his time but also now. Paul is encouraging us to know that we are not alone. We have the power of the Holy Spirit. He tells us to be filled with the Holy Spirit. WE are not alone. We have communities of believers. God has not and never will leave us. When times get tough, I pray that you will persevere. James talks about this. We are going to go through trials but it is a testing of our faith. Persevere and know that God has won the battle and know we have a future with God. We need to see Christ through scripture and through people to know how beautiful he is and how beautiful it is to be an imitator of him. We are called to be imitators of God’s own son. Take Joy in this my brothers and sisters.
I admit that I have not always been praying for you. I have a new sense of motivation. I’m going pray for you guys so much more. I love you guys!
- mike
5 comments:
Hey Mike! Thanks for the post! I found it to be encouraging; it was kind of the same message I had this morning. I miss your constant smile Mike, make sure others get to enjoy it too!
Thanks again
Wow Elbraso. Thanks for sharing this. Awesome stuff! You should be leading a Bible study!
Jay
Whoah. Thankyou so much for sharing this dude. I really hope everybody from our group reads this at some point and takes it in. You're just great.
If I had known you were a preacher, I would have had you speak in chapel. Hey, you just did!! Well said, Mike! Miss you.
okay, so i saw this long post and so i scrolled to the bottom to see who posted it. I saw it was you, Mike, and honestly, my thought was "Mike posted. This is gonna be good." Amazing, brother. And I miss you so freaking much. Ontario is too far away. Just saying. Keep speaking what God puts on your heart. It is wonderful.
Post a Comment