Friday, July 1, 2011

Chilling on the Island

Like most of you, I check this blog practically every day, but haven't updated you much since we all parted on that tough Sunday in April. But I have loved reading about you and having the opportunity to see some of you in the past couple months, most recently at Holly and Heidi's homes. We have been to Ucluelet and to Kelowna, and now we are back on the Island, staying at a friend's farm near Duncan for Sarah's knee surgery on Tuesday and her recovery. We will be here until near the end of July and then likely will be in Victoria for a few weeks. Our plans are a little up in the air because it turns out that I may need surgery too, as my shoulder gets a little worse every day. But we still hope to fly to Halifax on August 23, where we will meet Kristine's mom and step-dad and take their truck and camper back across the country, arriving back in BC in early to mid-October.

How are we doing? It is hard to say. On the one hand, we are processing so much pain and loss right now that is is difficult to feel anything. Keeah was put down June 20, and the same day we took Barkley to stay with friends in Vernon until sometime this fall. Being in Kelowna was tough as I felt the loss of my dad, and my mom is very lonely and never wanted us to leave. It has also been strange to be back on the Island but not in our home, and we feel quite disconnected from everything familiar here. And for both of us, physical pain is an ever-present reality. So life continues to be hard.

But on the other hand, the grace of God just keeps rolling in, wave after wave. We enjoyed amazing weather in Ucluelet, while it was raining everywhere else, and our favorite beach that used to be an hour's hard hike now has a road right to it so Sarah could go. Our visits with Holly, Kristie and Heidi were so good and so encouraging, and Kristie's new home overlooking Okanagan Lake was a piece of heaven. God has freed us up from debt and made it possible for us to continue for some time without employment. On June 27th, Sarah and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary:


We have places to stay - for free - for months if we need them. For the first time in a very long while, we have time, but haven't become bored, even though Sarah can't walk much and walking is about the only thing I can do. I am reading Job, and with him I ask God how long the trouble will continue, but with him I can also say that God is good and can be trusted.

I want you to know that we love to hear from you! Please don't feel like you need to leave us alone. We may not be ready to have you all come and take over our kitchen as in the past, but we still love to get your messages, texts and Skype conversations - and snail-mail letters, Anna (thank you, Canada Post)! In that sense nothing has changed, because we still have a deep and abiding interest in all of you, just like with any Kaleo group before you. I just don't get a new crew this year. We are still all about this: "We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me" (Colossians 1:28-29).

So thank you for your prayers, and for staying in touch. I look forward to having the Yearbook in hand soon, so we can remember better what God has done this year in perfecting you in his kingdom. (I hope to get the final draft to the Yearbook Team by early next week, so it shouldn't be too long before it comes to you in the mail). I know that many of you are also finding life difficult right now, which should come as no surprise, but I understand how uncomfortable it can be. May we all live in the grace of God.

11 comments:

Katie said...

jim!
Dude, your such a great guy, i still have a vivid memory of all our encouraging talks to one another, thanks everything you do to everyone, really though you go out of your way to help others like no bodies business, so thanks for that.
i am happy to hear you say we can always trust God, I am sure things are tough but theres a flower that grows for every rain drop <- do you like that one, or is it to corny. haha
anyway what i am saying is God is molding your family into something stronger , I love you faith Jim and I am excited to see where that leads you in life.
have a good one, and you guys are def seeing me soon
your pal.
K TO THE D

Katie said...

WOW ! i wrote that really fast, and it hardly makes sense , but im sure you get the picture:)

Meghan said...

Jim, you almost made me tear up. I don't really know what else to say.. except that I'd LOVE to talk/skype/see you both anytime. Looking forward to those weeks you'll be here.
Thankyou so much for teaching us God's grace from your own experience and from his Word.
Oh and when you come through the Briercrest area in the fall, you better come to one of my games!

Shannon Grochowski said...

Jim,
Just like Meghan you almsot made me cry, maybe it's the pregnancy hormones but i don't think so.
I miss you. I wish we could sit down and chat. Words really can not explain how you have changed my life and not only mine, Jon's.
Love ya Jim Bad and of course Sarah as well!

Keerstin said...

Jim and Sarah,

Thanks for the update! The Lord is really providing for you eh! Your updates and how you are constantly turning to the Lord in trust (something I'm learning about, but struggle to do!) encourages me and causes me to praise Him. Thank-you both for living a life as true Christ Followers that so many of us want to follow after.

Love and miss you both SO much!
Prayers for you often are shootin' up to the Big Man!
~Keerst

Jenna said...

Jim and Sarah! :)
thanks for the update.. will continue to be praying for you both!

Catherine said...

Thanks so much for sharing your life with us! I will be praying for both of you in the months to come and would love to see you if you make out my way!
Is there an address that I can send mail to?

Jeri said...

I'm doubling the comment that Meghan wrote: Stop in C-port! We have an extra room just for you! Caronport home phone: 306-756-5227.

And btw, congrats Meghan for making the bball team! I just read it on the B-crest website! (I was a player there for the last 4 years, and will be around alot this next year with Jr. Brainard! Can't wait to see the team play!)

God bless you two Jim and Sarah and you heal and travel and pray. Love you both!

-Jeri & Sam Brainard (And Jr. on the way :)

Holly said...

It was a pleasure to have you, Jim. Both my mom and I were so blessed to have you. I am so glad that you are still experiencing and seeing the Lord's goodness. I am praying from here in Argentina for Sarah as she goes into surgery tomorrow.

Also, so great to see all these comments from previous Kaleos. Love that you keep up with the blogs. It actually makes me so happy!

Jim, you'll be hearing from me soon with an update! Oh, and I won't be able to do much yearbook stuff (aside from write that blurb) while i'm here in Argentina... Sorry!!

Miss and love you both!

Steve-o said...

Thanks for the Update Jim, it's so good to hear from you and Sarah.

Steve-o said...

Thanks for the Update Jim, it's so good to hear from you and Sarah.