Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Life.

Hey you guys.
Sometime it feels like our year never happened. But it did and when I remember it and talk about it, I know it was good. Hard like we all know, but the experiences will last a lifetime. To be honest, Life was hard after Kaleo. I didn't know where I fit in with knowing what to do so I took the year off and it was probably the hardest year I've had, but looking back I know there was good in it. But I won't talk about that. I'll talk about life now in the present.
I have moved to the states and now attend a Christian college (Dordt) in Iowa. Random. But my sister did go there and when I was looking for what to study and where to go, I wanted to go to a Christian college. I wanted to have the rest of my college experience in a Christian community. I needed it because I was so out of community. I think its good for me to have gone to a college where I didn't know a whole lot of people. I have met a lot of people and it has been good. Somedays I don't know why I'm here, but thats normal. So yeah. After the year I decided to come here to study social work and psychology. As I have a couple nieces and nephews now, I want to work with kids. Actually my goal is just to marry a doctor and aspire to be a stay at home dad.. haha. but yeah, I hope to become a child life specialist, which focuses on working with kids in a hospital setting. Kids who have illness and what I would do is tell them what is going to happen, give them tours of the different places in the hospital, and then design activities that will suit what they can and can't do. But that won't be for a while. I have about two years left and then a one year masters program which I will do either in Canada or the States. I prefer Canada, as there are to many quirks in America haha. Amurica!. Its going alright. I have met some really cool people and the atmosphere has been great. There is chapel every wednesday and praise and worship on thursdays and lots of opportunities. So thats my life in a nutshell right now. I would love to hear more about what you guys are doing because I don't know what half of you are doing right now. I pray for you guys constantly.
Speaking of prayer. I need prayer that I will stay consistent in my personal devotions. As I go to this college with all these opportunities I fail at spending my own personal time in devotions which has been a struggle.
I do miss you guys, but I trust that things are going okay and that you have had all different/awesome experiences since Kaleo. Oh how I wish we could spend a week on a boat or climbing a mountain. Nostalgic.

3 comments:

Holly said...

YES. Finally he rejoins the world! So glad to read this, bro. I miss you a ton these days. Been looking back at pics from Argentina and wishing that we could just peace it to South America. Again, one day?!

So glad that you're finding community and enjoying life.

Logan Anderson said...

Hey Mike, it's sweet to hear from you man :) I look at you, and I could see you being a great dad one day man. You have a fantastic personality for kids, and Lord willing, I think you would do great there. I am so pumped to see what's ahead for you. I'm not sure if it's helpful to hear this or not, but one thing that I've discovered is that if we place our purpose in what we see changing in this world, we're gonna be depressed, because we cannot change the world. When we place our worth in heaven, that is when we find our tasks and life fulfilling, is when you live not for yourself but for others and for God. Matt. 6:19-21

God bless my friend :)

P.S. I want to go sailing SOO bad.

Michael said...

I don't think there was a single one of us who didn't suffer from culture shock after leaving Kaleo though it's great to see you still walking strong and found something to strive towards. Besides, I really like the idea of you playing with a bunch of kids; it puts a smile on my face.

I saw for the ten year Kaleo reunion we go on SALTS or climb mt Albert Edward again....anyway?