I visited Anna today. Due to some simple poor choices in a desperate moment, she is in the hospital emergency room, awaiting a bed. She doesn't want to be there, greatly regrets the reasons she is there, and feels very, very alone. Her parents are there, as always, calm and supportive and available. Nevertheless, today her most dreaded word is how she feels: abandoned. She does not want to blame her friends - it is a transitional time of year, and she knows how awkward and helpless her situation makes them feel - but in the few weeks when she was actually doing fairly well, one by one they disappeared into their own worlds.
I am one of them: a trip south; a final week of camp seeking out new students; I have my excuses. But I haven't been there lately for Anna, not in person and not even virtually. Today I happened to be in Victoria when I found out where she was, so I dropped in and talked and listened and prayed. And she gave me a message for all of us: "Right now, I don't need you as my counselor, but I need you as my friend."
After I left, I got a text from Anna, ending with "PLEASE pray for me!" And another asking me to write this blog. She has damaged her liver too many times, the doctor says; may need a transplant, and may not be eligible for one.
So I ask you to pray for Anna, maybe find a way to send your love this week - in short, please remember Anna. In her heart of hearts, she wants life. She had "Free" tattooed over her scars. Please join her in the cry of her heart.
In Philippians 4, where Paul tells us to "in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God," the word petition refers to our heart-felt response to a deep and specific need. Can we please collectively reach deep into Anna's heart and join her petition to God: for Freedom.
I am one of them: a trip south; a final week of camp seeking out new students; I have my excuses. But I haven't been there lately for Anna, not in person and not even virtually. Today I happened to be in Victoria when I found out where she was, so I dropped in and talked and listened and prayed. And she gave me a message for all of us: "Right now, I don't need you as my counselor, but I need you as my friend."
After I left, I got a text from Anna, ending with "PLEASE pray for me!" And another asking me to write this blog. She has damaged her liver too many times, the doctor says; may need a transplant, and may not be eligible for one.
So I ask you to pray for Anna, maybe find a way to send your love this week - in short, please remember Anna. In her heart of hearts, she wants life. She had "Free" tattooed over her scars. Please join her in the cry of her heart.
In Philippians 4, where Paul tells us to "in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God," the word petition refers to our heart-felt response to a deep and specific need. Can we please collectively reach deep into Anna's heart and join her petition to God: for Freedom.

2 comments:
Jim,
I do not know Anna well at all but as a fellow former Kaleo I will help her carry this burden and pray for her with petition and thanksgiving.
Family through Christ and Kaleo!
Shannon Grochowski
Hey Jim
I have not checked this Kaleo BlogSpot for a very long time but today was reminded of it and felt led to check it out. It's amazing how God works and I will definitely be praying for Anna. Thanks for the post and if you hear anything more please keep us updated!
Nate
Post a Comment