Friday, March 23, 2012

Not Much

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've typed on here, but I check the blog almost every day! Warning: this is gonna be long. I've been wanting to type on here for a while, but always felt too busy or too lazy. Anyways, here it is...

So this last semester has had several opportunities arise. Earlier this year, Erik, Meghan, and I all looked at joining the Canadian Forces reserves. I was pretty pumped originally, since I've had an interest in the military since I was born (or 12), but different circumstances occurred, and eventually what really seemed like a great idea kind of became a side note in the end.

Next for adventures, James Venderveen, Ben Schmit, Meghan (our Meghan), Jade Summerfelt, and I were all planning to make an expedition out to the Island to go visit Kaleo over Mod. week. Again, this seemed very exciting, but when we talked with both Kaleo and Briercrest, they seemed less than supportive of our plans, for various reasons. They were valid, but I don't think they were accurately weighed. Anyways, not important. That night, Nick and Leanne Vansnick had a Kaleo get together at their house, and around 9 or so James came up to Ben and I (Meghan and Jade had already left), and he asked if we would want to go to to his house in Ontario. 12 hours later, we were on the road! We drove for Minneapolis the first day (where Ben lives) and then it would be onto James' house the next day. It was blizzarding for the whole way to Minneapolis, and the 12 hour drive took 16. The wind and snow was so bad that when we got out, the one side of the car had around two inches of ice, which kind of looked like brown barnacles. After this gas stop, we decided it would be fun to hit the ditch. The weather continued to provide us with random snow storms the second day as well, though it wasn't as generous as the previous day. I'm making this sound like a terrible drive, but it was actually a lot of fun. We listened to hours of adventure in Oddessy and Brian Regan, had some good theological and personal conversations, and tried to construct sentences by saying the words backwards.

At James' house we basically lazed around, doing a minimal amount of homework, watching Hogans heroes, visited some of James and Ben's friends (I tried to get a hold of you, Nate, Mike, and Anna!), and we also made a movie: (if there isn't a movie here I apologize, you'll have to take my word that it's EXTREMELY good) It's about temptation, but we didn't finish it, so I figured it'd be good just to tell you.



Ok, so it's pretty cheesy, but at least it was fun :) On our drive back to Caronport, we brought with us James' older sister, Maria, and had equally as much fun, with better weather!

Well, OK, but what's NEW Logan? Alright... I'll tell you.

Since I had to have my surgery this year, as interested as I was in the Refined Undignified, I knew that it was somewhat pointless to try out. However, I have been feeling much better, and I was contemplating trying out next year. At this point it's kind of Lynnea's thing, so I talked to her about it, and she at least pretended to seem excited!

I was also offered to try out for a position as a Residence Assistant (RA) for my dorm. I had thought about this through the year too, as it seems like it would be a position that would suit me, I think I would be good at it. In the end, I ended up turning the RA position down, because after much prayer and many conversations with people, I felt that I had an open door to either position, and to me, I felt that RU held more appeal for me. I loved doing TaeKwonDo, and I felt as if this would be a good way to serve. As well, watching their ministry throughout the year, I have seen how impactful it is, and I would love to be a part of that.

My youth ministry professor and I have been fairly close throughout this year as well. We are in the same Greek class (he decided he wanted to learn Greek), I've been in now two of his classes, and I have also been helping out at the youth group that he and his wife run in Caron (across the highway from Caronport; what a coincidence!). Next year, he has decided that he wants to help out in Moose Jaw helping other youth groups, which would make him too busy for running the youth group in Caron, so myself and two others will be taking over running the group next year, though he said that they will still help us out as best they can. I'm pretty excited, it should be a great opportunity.

This summer, I have a few things planned as well. I have texted Markus (my old boss), and he was glad to have me work for him again this summer. I also have an internship set up back home with my youth group from May until August, which again will be a great learning opportunity, and a fun time :) Last, I hope to be able to go back to Faith Bible Camp again!

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about where things are going. Next year is going to be a hectic year I suppose, as I am getting into more advanced courses. Nevertheless, as long as I keep from getting bogged down, I think it should be a very good experience for me, and a good chance to serve our Lord. I am quite enjoying all my classes right now, even the core ones like English, and even the homework for the various classes feels rewarding. As we speak, I' procrastinating (taking a long break) on a history paper about Arminianism, which I have enjoyed researching and writing thus far. In spite of all these things that I have been learning, I have definitely found myself struggling to fight off various temptations, and failing at times, and succeeding at others. Watching the RU performances this last weekend, one song that I found was very impactful was called "embracing accusations". Though I don't think it will be as powerful without the RU dance accompanying it, I would encourage you guys to listen to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZI5thqCmY.

Last, we heard a sermon yesterday that I thought was very powerful. It was based off of Ecclesiastes 1 and 3. 3:9 says "what gain has the worker from his toil"? again, in 1:3 the preacher asks "What does a man gain by all the toil / at which he toils under the sun"? Think of Alexander the Great. He conquered most of the known world, yet his territories are nothing like they were, and we wouldn't even know about him if it were not for some dusty old books. What permanent gain can man achieve under the sun? None. You and I are nothing but dust. Yet God gives us every day as a gift, not as something that we can take with us, but as something to enjoy. Why doesn't he allow us this permanent gain that people seek after? Because we would, yes we would use it to fulfill our own joy, instead of leaving that to God. We would find pride in the things we did, and we would give ourselves reason to turn away from God himself if he gave us the chance.
Therefore, what we do has no gain under the sun. "All is vanity!" says the preacher. He is right. If we are living for gain under the sun, no matter how hard we try, it will be in vane. But God will take into account what we do in thew world, for 12:13-14 says "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the full duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgement, with every secret thing, whether good or evil".

Anywho, thanks for listening :) May God bless you and keep you all, I love you guys all lots! I hope that you guys are seeking to serve God, wherever you are. And if not, I pray that he draws close to you, and you see the emptiness of life without him, and the fullness and joy that comes with.

3 comments:

Erik Karklins said...

"kind of became a side note in the end" haha yup. Love the video, I can only imagine the goofy-ness that went on behind the scenes. I'm stoked to see how God uses you next year :)

Holly said...

i just miss you, Logs. My fave part of the video was your high kicks and the fact that the dubbing wasn't your voice. It made me laugh! I also went, "Man, that guy (Ben) chose the wrong guy to fight. Shouldn't have chosen a black belt!

I'm stoked for you, Logs. I think God is giving you many wonderful opportunities for ministry and I love that you are going after them so eagerly. Thanks for the encouragement from the Word.

Love you, brother, and I hope to talk to you soon!

Holly

PS you're gonna make a wonderful youth pastor.

Logan Anderson said...

Thanks guys! You guys are great :)